Sunday, October 4, 2015

Your Health is One of the Greatest Investments You Can Make

Pictured above: I cooked one of my favorite meals on a Sunday evening as a student at Utah State University. The grilled steak, from my family's Wyoming cattle ranch the steamed corn, and fresh vegetables from my grandparents' garden in Idaho are prepared in one of the healthiest ways possible. 
When you look on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and many other places for information you find thousands of recipes. You may even watch an instruction video or write down a recipe, but it isn't often that we actually end up trying out that new recipe. What is holding us back? Does it look too hard or time consuming? Are the ingredients expensive or hard to come by? Or maybe you could be on a diet. Whatever the cause may be there are many things to consider and there are some investments to be made. 
I love food so much and have grown up eating really well. Not only does it taste good but it is healthy as well. Sacrifices are necessary to consider when buying ingredients for healthy and tasty food. 
  • Cost: Most people cannot afford to eat a prime rib often. In fact many of the people who are following the new trends of fitness are college age kids, young couples, and families. Whatever the situation may be, the financial aspect is always on our minds. 
  • Location: The large chain stores in America tend to have a monopoly, giving them a lot of control. These stores sometimes sell products of agriculture that are less than good quality. Large chains are often found in convenient locations, so don't have to travel. 
  • Time: Many of us are going to school, working, or dealing with kids. It is so easy to buy frozen meals, processed food, and fast food that are quick, easy and less time consuming. 
When it comes to achieving or receiving anything great, it often comes with some sacrifice. As a college student, I told myself that I would never eat Raman Noodles because I was short on money. That called for a sacrifice of eating out often, shopping, and road trips. 
The farmer's market may be a bit out of our way, but the quality of the products sold there can make small but significant differences. 
Once again as a college student, time is a precious resource. Sacrificing time to make quality meals has made a difference in many aspects of my life. I have not seen these differences all at once but in small increments. I am able to wake up without being tired, I have more energy during the day, I feel better, and I look better. 
It is hard to make some of these sacrifices, but I can guarantee that it will be worth it! One's health is one of the greatest investments that can be made. 







No comments:

Post a Comment